Home » Journal Entries

Journal Entries

#1

A important person in my life: My Umbrella

It is the sea of umbrellas that forces me to think about him. With thunder and lightning and finally rain, this instrument relieves me of my worries. I open it and it covers me, protecting me from the storm. Under cover, I can move forward. Pit pat goes the rain as it hits the top of my umbrella, but I am warm and dry. My grandfather has always been the umbrella in my life. Like an umbrella that protects me from the storm, he protected me from sadness. He could stand firmly against the wind and rain that sometimes pelted me from all angles. He comforted me, held me close, kept me safe. He would try his best to always offer me a tiny little spot, a quiet shady spot away from the glare of the sun from which I could watch the world go by. He was my umbrella, no matter how arduous my situation, he would keep me safe and dry.  When storms of tears roll in and I am out in the cold, an umbrella is a friend that shelters and comforts me. He always listened to my sorrows no matter if I was wrong or right. He has gone now, but he left me with an umbrella to use when the skies are cloudy and gray or when the sun is beating relentlessly down. He is permanently kept in my heart. The man who guided me, who led me out of sadness and gave me warmth influenced me a lot. There will always be rainy days or bad weather in my life, but his spirit will always walk beside me, protecting me and offering me refuge. But now, today, this umbrella, which reminds me of him, protects me from the inclement weather. He is gone but he is never forgotten. He will be in my heart until I die.

#2

The natural: The Gift from the Field

When I was a child, I liked to walk in the field. It was really relaxing. I could forget every annoyance and enjoy the soft silt under my feet. I could appreciate the boundless golden rice, green wheat seedlings, and colorful flowers around me. The wind blew the aroma of the crop over my face reminding me of a fantastic opulent dinner. I loved the silence in the field. There was no noise from cars. I loved to looked at the large and small rolling drops dew, crystal clear on the long narrow leaves. The dew under the sunlight was such a beautiful pearl. “CataCata.” I heard a sound vaguely like scissors. When I turned around, I saw the  hard-working farmer were using a sickle to harvest the mature wheat. Their foreheads were full of sweat, but joyful smiles hung on their faces. When I felt tired, I liked to lie down on the grass. Trees were like umbrellas that provided a safe place away from the sunshine. Birds sang in the branches. I would take out the green grapes I picked. The sweet and sour fruit juice was the great gift from the field.