Home » Poetics Response

Poetics Response

My Poems

Muslim People in need

U.S Education Department collecting discrimination data,

Everyone attention on Muslim students and public school.

U.S Education Department promote inclusive school environments,

Everyone should feel safe and welcome in public school.

Terrorist attacks in Paris, Bernardino,

Terrorist attacks by Islamic State individual allegiance,

Fueled anti-Muslim wave everywhere in the U.S.

Muslim students felt frighten and attack by their faith.

Jokes not really jokes,

From terrorist to the location of your bomb,

Muslim students being bullying,

Muslim students need help and protect.

U.S Education Department preventing school discrimination,

Decrease teasing and taunts about religion.

U.S Education Department enforces Title VI of the Civil Right Act,

Improve harassment policies about religion.

It’s My Mom

You, like a diligent gardener,

Cultivate my growth in a healthy way,

You, like a fiery sun,

Give me warmth in the winter.

You are the powerful streetlight,

Lead me in the right direction while I am lost,

You are the safe haven,

Give me a shield protect me away from the storm.

The gardener might be retired someday, but I’ve grown up,

Sun might descend someday, but I’ve overcome cold,

Streetlight might be antiquated someday, but I’ve known how to identify the direction,

Haven might destroy someday, but I’ve strong enough to protect myself.

You always sacrifice but never ask for reward,

You are my mom, my strong back,

You are ordinary people but not ordinary,

You are my mom, my emotional anchor.

Chinatown

Walk in Chinatown,

I saw a unique style archway with Chinese culture,

I saw erythrosine sticker in the door and lantern across the street,

I saw people use chopsticks like a child in the restaurant.

Walk in Chinatown,

I hear the pedlars repeat ‘one dollar’,

I hear the surrounding speak fluent Cantonese,

I hear the child sing a song as I did while I was little.

Walk in Chinatown,

The surge of yellow skin crowd like a wave,

Dragon sculpture in the building makes me think of Chinese tradition New Year,

Dumplings advertisement makes me think of home, think of my grandmother.

Red is the symbol of Chinatown,

It is my second hometown,

A place make you revel,

A place makes you want to settle.

Poems from Our Reality

Have you ever wrote a poem with your reality? Poems usually reflect people’s daily life. The writer conveys the emotions or point of view throughout the poem. Similarly, my poem “Muslim People in need,” ‘It’s my mom,” and “Chinatown” also conveyed my emotions as a writer. I used repetition again and again in my poem to strengthen the theme and conveyed the message to the reader.

“Muslim People In Need’ is a found poem from the article “U.S. to track religious discrimination in schools as anti-Muslim sentiment grows” by Michael Alison. The poem highlighted the U.S Education Department’s connection to the importance of religious discrimination in public schools. The repetition, anaphora of the word “everyone” showed rigorous discrimination. All people should pay attention to it because it was related to everybody. Moreover, “Everyone” in line 4, stressed equality because every students in school is equal and they should get a fair and same treatment.  After the terrorist attacks in Paris, Muslim students faced an attack in the U.S. because of their faith. People were making jokes about them, like asking Muslim students “where’s their bomb,” but it’s not a joke for them: it’s disrespectful and makes fun of their religion. I used repetition on “Muslim Students” because I wanted to emphasize Muslim students’ situation and the surface that they were faced, the challenge of their belief. Finally, I used a cyclical structure in the last stanza which returned to the first stanza to highlighted the attention on public schools from U.S Education Department. Also, the Act that showed up by the end of the poem like a resolution of the religious discrimination in public school which protected Muslim students from bullying.

It’s My Mom was my second poem which expressed my grateful maternal love. I used similes, metaphor, and repetition in this poem to show the my mom’s influence on me. I described my mom as a “diligent gardener” because she worked for me and raise me up. She took care of me like the gardener takes care of the flower, who always hope the plant grows up healthily. I compared her to the “fiery sun” because she would give me everything I need. Moreover, I compared her to the “streetlight” because she would tell me her experience and give me direction when I feel confused. She was a safe haven for me because she always protected me away from dangerous. She was my strong back who supported and comforted me while I feel wronged. As a human being, she will get old someday but she would protect me as long as possible, until I have the ability to overcome the struggle. This poem showed my admiration for on my mom.

Chinatown was my last poem that expressed my joy about the location. I used the senses and vivid details to help the reader to imagine the situation as I walked around. As I walked in Chinatown, I saw a lot of culture symbols in the street. For example, the unique style archway, the erythrosine sticker, the chopsticks, and the lantern. Those were the characteristics of China. Then I showed what I heard while I walked in the street, The pedlars repeated “one dollar” because they don’t speak English so that they can only repeat the same words. The surrounding people like the children and elder, speak Cantonese and a yellow skin wave shown there were many Chinese in Chinatown. While I walked In Chinatown, the sight made think of some sense of my life because Chinatown was very similar to the place that I had been living. In this poem, I focus on the sensory details rather than the literary elements like metaphor, simile or personification because sensory details could vividly show a places environment. By using this, the audiences could feel like they were actually there.

All those poems expressed my emotion in some way. Some of them related to my daily life. Muslim people in need showed the religious discrimination and Muslim student’s struggle in school. It’s my mom showed maternal love and Chinatown showed how I missed my hometown. The used of repetition help me emphasize the situation and created a tense of atmosphere in the poems.